Take A Tip Tuesday- One Year After The Flood, Flooded Remodeled Home

You May Recall A live Video I Had Done Of A Flooded And Gutted Home (The Link To That Video https://www.facebook.com/YRRealEstatWhisperer/videos/1300391263341318/) Here Is The After Video Of The Home Completely Remodeled.


Kristina Smallhorn

(Your Real Estate Whisperer)

Cell 225-246-1812

Office 2254129982 ext#149

Website www.yourrealestatewhisperer.com

Email Info@YourRealEstateWhisperer.com

eXp Realty LLC. 

2900 Westfork Dr. 

Baton Rouge LA 70817


Kristina Smallhorn is a licensed REALTOR with the state of Louisiana, USA.

Could my Ascension Parish home be making me sick? 5 things you should be aware of:


Could my Ascension Parish home be making me sick? 5 things you should be aware of:
Our home is where we lay our weary heads at the end of a day. We cook, eat, sleep, party, watch television, bathe and so forth. The truth is, we spend a lot of time there. What we don’t think about is, where we live could be making us sick. Since the Great Flood of 2016 we all have gotten a crash course in the dangers of mold and especially black mold, but their are other things that can make you sick which we forget about or just didn’t know could be an issue. I’ve comprised a small list to help so you and your home can be healthy and happy.
Lead Paintbackground-1507046_1920
If your home was built before 1978 your home has the potential of having lead paint. If your home was inherited you may not even know the paint in your home could cause a potential health risk. Children have been known to eat paint chips because they taste sweet which can cause neurological problems and growth delays. And even the dust released by these paints can be harmful to the very air your family breathes. Lead paint may also cause behavioral problems, learning disabilities, seizures and in extreme cases, death. If you are concerned about lead paint in your home please visit the website below to get valuable information about removal and warning signs of contamination.

Many homes built before 1980 contain asbestos in old floor tiles, ceiling tiles, roof shingles and flashing, siding, insulation (around boilers, ducts, pipes, sheeting, fireplaces), pipe cement, and joint compound used on seams between pieces of sheetrock. Some homes have insullation in the attics called vermiculite that may contain asbestos. The biggest danger for asbestos is when it becomes airborne and the fibers are released into the air. If you are unsure if there is asbestos in your home before starting any remodel or renovation project have an inspector check your property, “When in doubt check it out” , they can take samples of areas in question and even point out others you may not have thought about to make sure its asbestos free. If you do have asbestos you must have an asbestos remediation company remove the contaminated areas and state this on your property disclosure when you decide to list your home to avoid possible litigation.
Did you know that some of the newer laminate flooring has been shown to contain toxic chemicals that could possibly make you ill? I didn’t, but a few years back several companies even recalled some of their wood floorings because of the health risk. The major component being formaldehyde which can be released causing health effects such as: eye, nose, throat, and skin irritation, coughing, wheezing, and allergic reactions. Long-term exposure to high levels of formaldehyde has been associated with cancer in humans and laboratory animals. If you are concerned about your flooring in your home visit the website below for helpful information.
Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that can kill you and your pets. We all have heard the horrible stories of people forgetting about the car running in the garage, killing the whole family inside while they slept. Many of us have gas stoves in our home and ventless fireplaces. When the gas is introduced and burned it releases carbon monoxide poison into the air. Without proper ventilation this build up can be deadly! Gas companies have added an odor to natural gas so you recognize a gas leak but carbon monoxide is the odorless silent killer. A carbon monoxide detector is fairly inexpensive and some act as a fire detector as well, make sure to change the batteries in these devices every fall and spring and test them in accordance with the manufacturers instructions to be certain they operate when you need them most. They are available at most hardware and home improvement stores.

I know I said it earlier many of us have had enough of hearing about mold but as time goes by and these homes that have been flooded go on the market I strongly suggest you hire an inspector that is also a mold inspector. Some of these inspectors have cameras that can detect moisture behind the walls where there is a potential for mold growth. To read about the dangers of mold visit the website below.
These are some risks to any home that you should be aware of whether you are buying, selling or even renting. Hopefully after reading this short article your mind is already busy with questions about your home or satisfied you have taken the proper precautions to keep your family safe. Always remember to state any of these items on your property disclosure when you put your home on the market, keep all of your receipts and documents of any remediation that has been done to protect yourself and potential home buyers.
“Because YOU matter”


The BIG mold lie in Ascension Parish.

Mold lie pic.png

The big MOLD lie told to us in Ascension Parish
I fell victim to this scam as have many others. Days after the flood, a rumor was spread that the state and the Parish requires the residents affected by the Great Flood of 2016 to have a “Mold Certification”. As a realtor this verbiage made sense to me, I have heard it in my dealings with the buyers requesting a “Termite Certificate” stating that the home was free of wood destroying insects, including termites. Not a required form to the sales contract but is usually requested by many buyers to be done at the seller’s expense. As of yesterday, I learned that this was not true, just a rumor that was spread through social media and inspectors who offer these mold inspections at a cost of $500.00 plus dollars. A pretty hefty price to pay nowadays since everyone throughout the Parish have lost so much. I’m not saying that mold remediation companies are a scam, many reputable vendors in our area have been doing amazing work treating homes in our area but if anyone is trying to tell you that you have to have a “Mold Certificate” before hanging up your sheet rock, they have been misinformed. Quoting General Landry from Via theCreole.com said “homeowners are permitted to perform their own mold remediation work without any license, but special guidelines and steps for mold removal and prevention should be followed. Visit www.lsuagcenter.com for more information.To report a scam or sign up for consumer alerts, call Attorney General Jeff Landry’s Consumer Protection Hotline at 800-351-4889 or visit www.AGJeffLandry.com.”

Let’s keep passing on this kind of information to everyone in Ascension Parish and all of the Greater Baton Rouge area. Stay safe out there.

“Because YOU matter”